- encourage creator discovery by leveraging the demand-side (paying audience).
- reduce unwanted friction to support creators (such as multiple membership tiers, which is extra work for creators & high decision fatigue for supporters). Patreon is wrongly inspired by the crowdfunding model of Kickstarter.
- introduce integrations and tools for creators (for eg, a paywall equivalent for small publishers), and therefore act as a single sign-on for audience to access paywall-ed content everywhere.
- drive the subscription prices down as the supporter volume increase. Currently, it is a high fixed cost to set up paywalls and other membership tools, and creators/publishers are forced to squeeze more juice out of paying audience.
- offer a superior UX for the audience and eventually become mobile-first.
Being an audience-first platform will help: